Photo Blog: Indo-Pak Cricket is a Game Changer for Peace
by Ravi Nitesh (India) & Syed Zeeshan Ali Shah (Pakistan)
When we think of India-Pakistan matches, we think of a subcontinent fully charged with nationalism, mostly aggressive nationalism. The environment is intense and everyone is (or expected to be) glued to the television, radio or other avenues for live commentary. The social media is also abuzz with memes and videos. But sadly, all this has mostly been in a negative spirit. People forget that it is, afterall, just a game and the two teams are not rivals, but competitors. Infact, they may have friendly relations with each other. This negative and aggressive spirit is what tends to dominate the media and public sphere.
Here is a compilation of photos that counter the popular, negative understanding of India-Pakistan cricket matches. These photos show what India-Pakistan cricket should be about.
1. Competitors, Not Rivals: Indian and Pakistani cricketers wishing each other luck
2. Preparing for the competition, not for war.
3. Indian Cricketer MS Dhoni with son of Pakistani cricketer Sarfaraz Ahmed
4. Pakistani cricket Azhar Ali thanks Indian crickets MS Dhoni and Virat Kohli for meeting his children.
5. We love this waving of both flags together, do you?
6. When we asked Indians and Pakistanis to share their favorite cricketer from each other’s team
7. #CongratsPak trended in India
8. Author and Political Analyst from India gives an important lesson about nationalism. Nationalism means love for one’s country but it does not mean hating others.
9. Great tweets by Pakistan Envoy to India, Abdul Basit and Author and Political Analyst Sudheendra Kulkarni
10. More of twitter reactions by sports personalities, activists and true Indians and Pakistanis who convey the real spirit of India-Pakistan cricket matches.
*All these photos have been downloaded from internet.
Have something to add to this story? Email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Ravi Nitesh is the founder of Aaghaz-e-Dosti. Syed Zeeshan Ali Shah is member of Aaghaz-e-Dosti Islamabad Team.
Posted on June 23, 2017, in Articles, Photo Blogs and tagged Abdul Basit, Harjinder S Kukreja, indopak cricket, Madhureeta Mukherjee, Mandeep Singh, Sarral Sharma, Sudheendra Kulkarni, Syed Salman Chishty, Syed Vaseem. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.